Sunday, May 04, 2008

Saturday, Saturday, Ever-Loving Saturday!

That was one of my favorite songs by the Carpenters. I love Saturdays!!! Sleeping in a couple of hours later, doing things around the house and not exactly going on anyone's schedule (spending time with Bruce and doing whatever we want). Of course both of us should be doing schoolwork. I'm burning out on it, but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now I will spend all day preparing for a presentation tomorrow night at the last class of one of my three that I'm now in. One other will end May 27 and then I will really enjoy my writing class for 3 weeks. It's a national writing institute and since I love to write, it will be great! We spent Saturday working on plants for the yard. It's been so long since I've been able to do that. I love being out there in the dirt, listening to the birds and peace and quiet. I have at least three ancestors that were professional gardeners and florists, so I hope the genes are in there that I don't kill things off! I have always wanted a wisteria bush, so when we went to the nursery, I got one! I am planning on keeping it as a bush, and making the "fountain" effect. We got a willow oak and will have them come and plant it for us. (Saves Bruce a lot of time and energy). I finished off the lamp post garden with some more marble chips, but need to go back and get more. Then I got a planter for the sidewalk by the front porch. I really like vinca, so it's in both gardens. My butterfly bush is growing, and I'm anxious for it to bloom so my butterflies and hummingbirds come back. We got another butterfly bush for near the street to replace one that died. We planned to have three in red, white, and blue, but have had trouble keeping two of them going. The boston ferns are now on the porch, too. Bruce got an electric hedger and trimmed up the boxwoods out front. He will be fencing off the area around the back porch and patio so Dixie doesn't tear everything up. I'll be glad when she becomes more passive!
Pewter's rose bush is growing like crazy! As soon as the blooms are gone from the left, I will prune it back.
One of the roses
Where the oak tree will go
Trimmed boxwoods
Ferns
New planter
Wisteria
Close up
Need a few more rocks!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Everything looks very nice!!

Anonymous said...

The gardens look good - my gardening genes are going to waste out here...ugh...
You need to take a weedeater to the weeds around the mailbox!! LOL My yard *never* had weeds...hehehe....