On Saturday morning we left around 7:15, drove to Charlotte, got to the airport really quick on a shuttle, and waited a long time to get our bags checked. We were lucky enough to have had our reservations before May 12, so no charges for baggage at all.
There were a lot of Army personnel in line ahead of us, and if I hadn't thought about the commercial where everyone cheers for the military in the airport, together with the remembering Bruce in Desert Storm, Nathan and Travis both leaving, and Keith and Mike's departures, I probably would have been ok. But it made me pretty teary-eyed. What can I say? I love our country and am proud of our military service.
The plane took of ON TIME for Dallas, and I got some great pictures coming in (after having my knees pinned against the seat in front of me!!) We had a three-hour layover, so we got our seats changed on the next flight to exit rows, had a nice lunch at TGI Friday's, and waited for the plane. Kudos to our pilots who got us into Vegas a half hour early!!! Got some super shots of the land as we approached.
Bethany and Keith met us in baggage and all of our luggage came in together!! We picked up some Mediterranean pizza, and met Mandy, Brandon, Maggie and Ryleigh at Bethany's house. The girls loved the books and clothes we brought for them. Maggie called it "dress up."
On Sunday, we went to church with Mandy and Brandon for Sacrament Meeting. I spent some time in the hallway with a wiggly Ryleigh, but was in for most of the meeting. We had taken some pictures outside before the meeting began. Then we came home and helped Bethany get ready for a cookout we had with my friend, Steve Foisy and his wife. We've been friends pretty much since I was 17 and he was 19 and on his church mission in Cincinnati. We hadn't seen each other in about 14 years when I was at the PTA convention in Las Vegas, so this was a fun time, and we were able to catch up on each other's families.
After they left, Bethany and Keith took us for a ride up to the Las Vegas temple. I always like to see the temples. So peaceful and beautiful! We also saw some really interesting houses!!!
On Monday, we were up early and walking the dog at the park at 5:30. It gets light here so early, and if you don't go early, it will be too hot!! It hasn't been less than 100 the whole time we've been here. Mandy met us at the "Egg and I", where Bruce and I had breakfast with Keith and Bethany. Sure glad I only ordered an egg and toast! The other meals were huge, particularly their ranch potatotes, but it was very good. I rode with Mandy and the girls and Bruce rode with Bethany and Keith, and we went to Valley of Fire State Park. It's up I-15 towards St. George, but still in Nevada. Lots of interesting rock formations in bright reds, and whites. We saw that there was a set at the park, even though we never found out what movie is being filmed. Saw rocks that look like beehives, and a natural arch. Then we went to the Visitor's Center and got some souvenirs. One of my favorites was a cd I got for my class to listen to while they write. It's music of the valley, including some Native American selections. Mandy and I played it while we drove around, and it was very effective!
We went to the Mouse's Tank, which is a natural collection point for rainwater. There is a legend that goes along with it. It was a half mile hike. No problem, we thought. We enjoyed the petroglyphs on the sides of the walls of the trail. Then it began to seem hotter and hotter. By the time we got back to the van, we were all just about to die for water, were red faced, and too hot!!!
We drove to see the white cliffs and Silica Point where they filmed the second Star Trek TV series. Looked at Seven Sisters, which is a rock formation with individual rocks. Very interesting! Couldn't find Elephant Rock, but Mandy promised to go back with Brandon and send us some shots.
The little girls were definitely ready for some lunch, so we decided to go to Overton Beach, which is on Lake Mead, right outside the park. Hmmm. The park is closed up like a ghost town, and the lake has receded so that there is no water even close to the landing, and cows graze where water used to be. Talk about a reality check!!!! We fixed lunches from the back of Bethany's Aztec and ate on the way home to Vegas. Bruce rode with Mandy and the girls and I rode with Bethany and Keith.
There definitely isn't a water shortage at Las Vegas Lake, but the telltale white border around Lake Mead is quite shocking and frankly, very scary.
When we got home, we all cooled off and took naps, after we stopped by and saw Bethany's office at CDC. Then we went over to see Mandy and Brandon's apartment. They are doing an internship with Nevada Power for 12 weeks (they are halfway through) and then will return to BYU in August to finish up the second year of Brandon's MBA. We took Maggie swimming while Ryleigh was sleeping, and then had Thai food together. Very tasty, but a little too spicy for me. Next time I would order about a #2 in the spice area. On the way home, we got Mixers!! Yum! Ice cream mixed with toppings. Chocolate with chocolate chip cookie dough and macadamia nuts!
Tuesday we got up really early and went with Bethany and Keith to go on the Grand Canyon Skywalk. This is something I have wanted to do ever since I heard about it opening last year! We had rented a car and picked up some breakfast in Boulder City. Got to Hoover Dam, crossed, and took some pictures of the new bridge that will span the canyon over the Colorado River. Once again we just couldn't believe how low Lake Mead is! We drove another 1-1/2 to 2 hours, which included 14 miles of the wildest, dustiest gravel road I've ever been on!!! Bethany did a super job of driving, even when trucks would kick up so much dust you literally couldn't see to drive!! When we got to the Hualapi Reservation, it cost us $20 to park, and $50 a person to go on the bus and walk on the Skywalk. Ouch!! We were grateful for military discounts, but this was ridiculous!!! Glad we packed lunch, too, or that would have been another $12! Lots of helicopters, buses, and planes. But what a spectacular view!!! I couldn't believe how magnificient it was,. I haven't been to the Grand Canyon since I was 10, in 1963. It just is awesome!!! We put on paper shoe protectors (really protecting the glass bridge) after putting all of our belongings in a locker. That's right, no personal items, including cameras on the bridge. I understand completely why. THey are trying to eliminate the crazy people who throw all kinds of things off high places. Bruce doesn't care for heights at all, but I was so thrilled that he ventured out into this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Some people like bungee jumping, give me a bridge 4,000+ feet over the Grand Canyon!!! We had our picture taken on the bridge, and then went into the gift shop for some souvenirs. Watched the buffalo dance, and then boarded the bus to go to Guano Point. There used to be a tram to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, but it's gone now. Very beautiful scenery there, too.
Finally, we got on the bus, stopped at the terminal gift shop and ate our lunch in the car on the way home. Very hot and tired, but loved the experience!!
View of Skywalk
Aerial of Skywalk
The walkwayBethany and Mandy enjoyed a "Daddy-Daughter" date with Bruce. They took him on the strip to a restaurant at Caesar's Palace. I was glad they took him to see the Bellagio fountains, too. Keith and I took the rental car back and went to the Cheesecake Factory. Wonderful mushroom soup and pasta! Afterwards, we went to Red Rock and I won an extra $75 on the Monkees slot machine!!
Today we all went to The Original Pancake House for breakfast. If you visit Vegas, this is a MUST. The pancakes were wonderful, and Bruce says he has never tasted any omelette as good as the one he had. The hostess found out that Bruce and I were from out of state and gave us some souvenir mugs!!
After breakfast, we went to Mandy's apartment for a little while so she could put the crock pot on. I read to the girls, and then we left so Mandy could get tickets for Phantom of the Opera tonight. Bruce, Bethany, and Keith "puttered" around and waited for us. While Mandy waited in line, I took the girls inside Ross and ended up with a book and toy for each of them. It was already so hot again, we cooled off with a drink at McDonald's and of course cookies for the girls.
After that, we met the others at the Natural History Museum. Learned some interesting things and took some really cute pics of the girls. Still hot!! Went to the Old Mormon Fort museum, looked around, watched the video and could barely stand 10 minutes outside. (It was 115 here today!) Mandy and the girls went home and we decided to cool off at Bahama Breeze. Nice salads, LOVED the fresh-squeezed lemon breeze, and we shared a piece of Key Lime Pie. On to the next museum!! We went to the Atomic Testing Museum. Lots of memoriabilia, and the experience in a fall-out shelter is something else!!
Came home, and went over to Mandy's to take the girls swimming. Afterwards we ate and babysat with them while Mandy and Brandon went to see Phantom. They enjoyed it, and found Ga-Ga and Papa quite asleep at 9:00!!
We came home, and I packed Bruce's things. He has a flight at 6 tomorrow (I'm spending another 5 days here with Bethany and Mandy. I will miss having him here, but I know he needs some time to work on schoolwork and relax before going back to work on Monday.
I will be posting LOTS of pics after I get home!





1 comment:
Wow, you guys did a lot!!! Hmmm, I was going to leave a different comment, but the girls are screaming and I lost my train of thought. LOL
Post a Comment