Monday, April 13, 2009

Stupendous Spring Break, Day 1

I won't be posting any pics until later this weekend, but will be writing my blog so I don't forget anything!

I'm writing this later, but posting each day at a time.

On Friday morning, April 10th, we got up at 4 in the morning, left the house at 4:55, and drove to the Columbia airport. I'm so glad Bruce took me. I like having him with me, and I am a little squeamish about being at the airport alone so early in the morning.

Everything went great at check-in and security, and I was off to Vegas for Spring Break.

We left on time (thank you, Northwest/Delta!) and flew into Memphis. Very nice airport and easy to get around. We had some air turbulence on the way, but I slept most of the time, since I didn't go to bed until 12:30 that morning.

The flight was on time again leaving. I sat next to a couple from Eastover, which is halfway between Columbia and Sumter. They were going to spend Easter in Vegas. When we took off, I got a little nervous, as the plane just shimmied down the runway, and continue to do so during the ascent. Evidently we were flying through all the storms that hit Arkansas the previous night.

We had turbulence on and off during the flight. I woke up over Oklahoma, took some pics and went back to sleep. When I awoke again, I saw the snow-covered peaks of Colorado. So beautiful!!

Unfortunately it was cloudy over the Grand Canyon, so no pics there. Then I snapped pics as we descended into Vegas.

Keith met me at the luggage carousel, and we didn't have to wait hardly any time for my luggage.

We were both hungry and decided to go to Red Rock casino for lunch. I dropped in on Bethany to surprise her. (She said she just knew it was me at the door!) After lunch I did the penny slots at the Monkees machine and another one and won $9.

Then we went back to the apartment, got the rest of Bethany and Keith's things and Tally, and headed across the street to Walgreens for some Easter surprises from the Bunny for Maggie and Ryleigh, and shampoo, etc.

We picked Bethany up at 3 and headed out on I-15 for Utah. Traffic got better after the speedway, and we were in St. George by 6:00 (lost an hour). We met my friend, Steve Foisy and his sweet wife, Theresa, at Inn N Out Burger, but because of the crowds, chose Burger King and a quiet environment to talk. Steve served his mission in Cincinnati and we have known each other since I was 17 and he was 19. A LONG TIME!

Back on the road, and we took a pit stop in Fillmore. (There's not much between Cedar City and Nephi!!)

Drove into Provo around 11:15. I was going crazy not being able to see the mountains! We went to Mandy and Brandon's apartment and Bethany and Keith went inside.

I went to the door a few minutes later (Brandon, Maggie and Ryleigh didn't know I was coming). I knocked on the door and when Brandon opened it, I would have loved to have a video camera! He just did a double take!

We only stayed a half hour or so and then checked into La Quinta Inn for the night. Tally was ready for some rest, too! I did manage to "be up" 24 hours!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I loved Bethany's minute by minute updates all the way here. LOL

Unknown said...

Gotta love the iPhone for those updates!
Drive was way too long...but maybe I was just cranky.
And YES - I totally knew it was you at my office - LOL