Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wonderful Sunday!

Happy Birthday to my Grandpa, George Washington Mehring. He would have been 110 today. Hard to believe. I miss being able to see him, since I was lucky enough to have grown up next door. He always had me stand by the piano as my Grandma played and I sang. He would sing "Girl of My Dreams" to me and I would cry. I loved spending time with him on the farm.

Today I listened to the Spoken Word as I got ready for church. It's the broadcast from the previous week at 9:00 and then the live one at 11:30. Since I'm usually at church at 11:30, I try to listen to the 9:00 one to see what I missed. Last week I happened to see the live one and it was on the music from Lincoln's era. They ended with "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." I was anxious to listen to it again, as it's the hymn the choir did the night before Bruce and I got married, when we went to their rehearsal, and still my favorite!! I even called my friend, Karen to watch it, because I know how much she loves music, too.

I went to Sacrament Meeting and Sunday School, and then came home. If I sit too long lately, my feet swell and with my heels, it was kind of painful!! So we went to Swan Lake so I could walk, feed the swans and ducks, and take pictures. It was a beautiful day, 60 degrees, and a stiff breeze, but sunny. We also went to the Sumter Cemetery. I think I will make it a habit on Sunday afternoons to go and take pictures for the photo requests on findagrave.

We found a grave today that really had an effect on us. A 26 year old died in one of the last skirmishes of the Civil War, here in Sumter, the battle of Dingle's Mill. What's so sad is that he survived a lot of other battles, including Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg!!! I'm including pics of his grave.

Monument erected by Sons of the Confederacy in 1995.

His original stone

Look where he fought and survived!

Here too!

You can read more about him here

After we came home, we had a late lunch and then I fixed Bruce a meatloaf, baked potatoes, asparagus and peas. I stayed up way late again and graded papers, but I only have two sets that aren't graded now.

We are all saying a prayer for my son-in-law, Mike, who is having surgery today in Italy. I know it will be hard for Tiffany, having Zach to watch and being pregnant, too. Wish I could be there to help.

Below are the pics from Swan Lake today.





And here's a video, too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss going to Swan Lake! I

Mandy said...

Those wood ducks are so pretty. That's weird that your feet swell when you sit down...I thought it was supposed to be the other way around?! Good idea to take photos of the cemetery - I know people will appreciate that a lot.

Tiffany said...

Looks like it's nice and warm there!