Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vacation Day 9

On Wednesday morning, we got up, packed, and Bruce loaded the car up to begin our journey home. I was just happy that it would be a two day trip, not straight through like I usually do!!

We left Jeff's and headed out on Rt. 35 towards West Virginia. Ok, we missed the exit at Gallipolis to eat at Bob Evans. Crossed the river and went to Point Pleasant!! I wanted to get a pic of the Lowe's hotel, and show Bruce the Mothman statue.

I still think the best part of West Virginia is BRAD PAISLEY!!

Bruce with Mothman

Me, too!

We went back to Gallipolis and I got my Ohio picture, since I was busy taking pictures of Cincinnati the first time and missed it.



Breakfast was good at Bob Evans, but because Bruce wanted his with three eggs, they charged him over a dollar for one!!! Might not go back there again!

Back on the road, through Charleston, (how many times can you wind your way through the valley and cross the river?????) and onto the West Virginia Turnpike. It costs $3.75 to go on I-77 through. Hmmm. Since that's the only freeway going south. . . .

We stopped at the Tamarack West Virginia artisans. I love the Fenton glass. Will be on ebay for that!! And of course the handmade quilts. I wish I could do it. Might learn how in the next couple of years.


Love the brown-eyed Susans!


Tamarack Artisan Center

We drove through the rest of West Virginia and into Virgina. The clouds were all up in the mountains and valleys. It was beautiful!!! Something about those hills and valleys.

I love those Virginia/Tennessee farms!!

My 7th great parents, Ulrich and Maria Beeler and 6th great grandparents, Julius and Martha Beeler Hacker lived by this river. Martha's brothers, Jacob and Joseph, served with the Overmountain Men that marched to fight at Kings Mountain with Shelby.

My other 6th great grandfather, John Renta Baker, lived near Wilkes County, NC. He was also with the Overmountain Men and served with Campbell.

This is for Mike, my son-in-law. I was hoping to see it, but it's not near the freeway. Next time!!

We arrived in Johnson City, TN and checked into the Hampton Inn. There was quite the gathering of motorcycles for an event. Mostly gray-haired! :)

Since it was our last night on the road, Bruce wanted to get steak. We went to the Texas Roadhouse where we were treated like royalty because it was our first visit. My family knows I don't like ribs, or any meat on bones, but they brought us a sample because we were new. Delicious!! My filet mignon was great!! Bruce's steak they redid because they knew it wasn't rare like he liked.

It was a wonderful dinner. We were exhausted, though, and fell asleep pretty early. Tomorrow will be an awesome day!!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'll teach you how to quilt. Is all this family history stuff written down somewhere so I can keep track of it? Brown eyed susans are my favorite. :)