Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School

Bad start, but it got better. Had to be at school at 7:15, couldn't go to sleep until 2:30, and woke up at 6:25!!!! But I made it, thank goodness, and was one of the nicest dressed teachers!!! :)
I had a couple of new students, but still only have 16, with only two others not showing up. Have 8 boys and 8 girls. So much better than last year. A couple of the boys are going to be pills, but I think they are a little nervous about acting up.
They had early dismissal at 10:45, but we managed to get the roll done, a questionnaire about their summer, they interviewed each other and will present their new "friend" to the class tomorrow, and we toured the school going over a LOT of the rules. No one got lost, but I did have one whose ride didn't show up until late (a real pet peeve of mine!)
We had our last lunch out at Applebee's (about 8 of us including the principal), and then came back and did some more paperwork. Left at 4:00, went to Penney's to pay my bill and found out that shirts for Zach were half price!! And of course since he loves Elmo and Disney Cars, I just had to get him 5 of them!!
When I got home, we had dinner, I labeled sections of my new gradebook, typed up a fancy roster for outside my door, and suddenly, there I was on the news!!!
It was a "preview" of tomorrow morning's news on WIS-TV that they interviewed three of us for a couple of weeks ago about the "Class Act" where people donate to teachers who post their needs on the website.
My sponsor has been with me for two years and yesterday her granddaughter brought in two boxes of school supplies. She's such an angel!!! So tomorrow I will have to watch between 5 and 7 to see our interviews. Hopefully they will have something on the website so those of you far away and can see it.
I was excited to see Shawn Johnson finally win a gold medal in gymnastics. Seems like such a sweet kid and I guess I got a little teary-eyed watching her mom and dad in the stands --- I understand it!!
So tomorrow will be another day, but I think it's going to be so much better this year!! They are supposed to tile my floors tomorrow night, which means I won't be staying after school. On Thursday I won't either, because we're going to see Kenny Chesney in Charlotte!
Here's another picture I'm posting. When Tiffany was little, she would call it "horsey ride." This is one of my first when my Grandpa Mehring had ponies for us. That's my mom leading. We're walking toward our back yard and you can see my grandparents' home in the background. Unfortunately, it's no longer there. :(
Riding Trigger

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Well that sucks! You didn't warn me that you were going to spoil the olympics women's gymnastics!!! I'm still watching right now!

But glad to hear your day went okay. The first day is always so exciting!

Unknown said...

That's a pretty neat picture - I've never seen that one before!