Monday, August 18, 2008

Orientation Day

Got to work a few minutes late. Picture this!! I go the Kangaroo gas station by Millwood. Get out, go to put my card in, and notice it says "lift nozzle, prepaid $10." So I pump the gas, and naturally I am not going to drive off. I go inside to pay my $10. Cashier says they put a lady's $10 on the wrong pump and I need to pay in either cash or check. WHAT?????? I never use those!! She offered me the ATM inside. Well, I have to get to work, so I go and get my debit card, use the ATM with a $2.25 fee, grinding my teeth! Paid the $10 cash, and she then got nicer and gave me the ATM fee back. Won't be going back there!!
I quickly got all my desks cleaned up and organized my tables. Then we had Orientation. I had 9 out of 15 show up. I basically gave them their folders with all the information inside, a calendar, and handbook. None of my parents came to the room, because I told them they were still working on the floors. We even had one of the hallway doors closed with other teachers monitoring them, and sure enough a TON of other parents just had to bring their kids to see me (my last year's darlings!)
Worked some more in the room and then 5 of us went to lunch at Applebee's. The manager likes me because I'm Mandy's mom and she worked with him at Ruby Tuesday's. He also went to Sumter High and married someone from there as well. I got a yummy chicken salad!
Afterwards, since it was Work Day and we have worked like fools for a week (we can take a longer lunch), we went to Staples and they gave every teacher 25 free packs of pencils!! I think I have enough for the whole school year!
My WIS sponsor came through for me again. Her granddaughter brought me two boxes of school supplies today. How sweet is it to have a grandmother who has NO children or grandchildren in the school bring you these? I got two packs of copy paper, pencils, colored pencils, crayons, glue sticks, pencils sharpeners, composition notebooks, notebook paper, markers, etc. She is priceless!
I cleaned up and organized until 5:00. So it's ready, we just don't have tiles on our floors, and I can't put out books, etc. until they put the tile in this week, because they will move EVERYTHING that is not up on the permanent shelves out into the hallway (I just moved everything in!!!)
Tonight I'm going to soak in the tub so I don't get sore and try to get a good night's sleep. We have to be at work at 7:15. ugh!
Here's another picture from my collection of old ones!! This is one of my cousins, Mike and Pat, my brother, Butch and me with my Grandma and Grandpa Mehring. We grew up next to them. Grandpa was born in 1899 and passed away two months before I had Nathan, the first great grandchild. Grandma was born in 1901 and passed away at our house when Bethany was two months old in 1981. A sweet, but sad memory is that she passed away in Nathan's bed, next to his drawing of a 10-foot purple train on the wall. I couldn't bear to paint over it because he did such a good job!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hooray for back to school!!!
Wish I was going!
And that pic just confirms that I'm adopted :)

Mandy said...

What a cute picture!!! I like your dress. :)