This is going to be a long entry. But since it serves as a journal for me, there are lots of things I need to put in it, so bear with me!
After lots of thought, I decided I needed to make my annual trip to Ohio. I need to see my parents at least once a year. Bruce, kind husband he is, totally agreed with me, and made sure I could afford the plane ticket. This year driving was out of the question with the gas prices.
So, at the last minute, I was able to get a good price on a flight from Columbia to Dayton, via Charlotte. Let's not talk about the fact that it would leave Columbia at 5:40 in the morning, and we live an hour away!!
So, on Wednesday, July 23rd, after not being able to go to sleep at all, I began getting ready at 2:30 a.m. I left right after 3:30 and kept the country music station turned up, grateful for deer whistles! It amazed me that Columbia raised their parking fees to $12 a day to park in the garage and $8 for the surface parking. I assured Bruce I would be ok parking outside, I would park as close to the terminal as possible and near a light. It worked!! I was in the front row, next to a light, and only 5 cars from the crosswalk.
For some reason, they couldn't get my frequent flier card to work, but didn't charge me for my one suitcase. Good. Everything went well, and I boarded a 50-passenger jet. We were scheduled to leave at 5:40, left a little late and I was really surprised to hear the announcement that we were landing in Charlotte and it was 6:05!! Ok, 25 minutes ahead of schedule??
Got off the plane with a throbbing headache, located some anacin, bottled water, and a granola bar. Had over an hour layover, was scheduled in the same terminal, so that went well. I figured I would sleep on the plane. Wrong!!!
I sat with a lady from Summerville, SC, who was going "home" to Hamilton for a vacation. We talked the entire time. She knew my friends from Summerville, and graduated a year before me from Hamilton Taft.
We encountered some air turbulence about 40 miles from Dayton, but nothing too bad. I was hoping to see Cincinnati, but too many clouds. We still landed ahead of schedule. What a nice treat! My suitcase was waiting for me after I went to the restroom, so I went out to wait for the rental car shuttle.
I think it only took 20 minutes to leave the terminal, get my car, and get on the road!! I had a 2008 Silver Dodge Caliber. Wasn't bad. Good gas mileage, but didn't have the pick up my PT has, and there are some bad blind spots!!
I drove up I-75 to Bowling Green, reflecting on the many times I went to my grandparents' house in Perrysburg, Ohio, and later driving to Livonia, MI to Bruce's parents'. Funny how you remember different landmarks -- Neil Armstrong Museum, grain elevators in Findlay, old parts of Rt. 25 that we traveled before I-75 went in.
It was about 165 miles to Lake Erie, where Mom and Daddy are spending the summer on their boat at Catawba. I just loved driving through the Ohio farmland!
Then, as I got closer and called Daddy for directions, I started seeing some really ominous clouds -- wasn't excited about tornadic action at all!!
When I got to the boat, they showed me around, we ate lunch, and then decided to go to Fremont. I have always wanted to see the Rutherford B. Hayes home and grave. (I try to go to a Presidential site every time I'm near one!) It was just a short drive there. I was so impressed!! The tour of the house was the last one of the day, and the guide was really good!! It took 45 minutes, and was very informative. I had no idea he was a lawyer in Cincinnati before becoming President. And thank goodness for his son who never wanted to throw anything away!! Almost all of the furnishings in the 21,000 sq. ft. house are original to the house. I was so impressed with the fireplaces that have Rookwood Pottery tile all around them, and the woodwork is gorgeous, along with a four-story staircase that is lit at the top with windows so Mrs. Hayes could grow plants in the winter! People in the 1800's were very practical, as well as imaginative.
We walked the grounds to the graves, noting the Cherokee footpath used by Gen. Harrison in the War of 1812. I thrive on historical trivia! The gates were given to President Hayes from the White House after he left. He had famous people touch a tree, and then put a plaque up with their name.
Afterwards, we drove to Castalia and ate at a local restaurant. I'm not a big fish eater, but I remember liking perch when I was a kid. We had perch sandwiches that were wonderful! I was sad to see that the Blue Hole, a site my family visited when I was little, has been closed to the public. It's used for research now and as a trout hatchery.
At 10:00, I couldn't keep my eyes open any more and climbed into one of the bunks. Daddy woke me later so I could sleep on the sofa on the main deck. I think I slept 9 hours, which is more than usual!
JULY 24TH
The next morning I was awakened with the honking of geese that came to feed at the back of the boat. I got a couple pieces of bread, deciding I would buy a loaf at the store and feed them again that night.
After breakfast we drove to the local grocery to pick up a few items, and then rode around Port Clinton. I remembered the draw bridge as a child, saw the ferry to Put-in-Bay and could see the Perry Monument on the island. Cheese Haven, which has been there since 1949, sells all kinds of cheeses and meat, and I knew I would be visiting when I got ready to leave the following day.
When we returned to the boat, Mom and I went to the swimming pool and spent about an hour doing laps. It felt good to be in the water! After lunch we relaxed and looked at some more sights.
For dinner, we went to The Crow's Nest, a restaurant towards Marblehead. The shrimp I had was really good, and I had to get Zach a t-shirt with a glow in the dark pirate. We later had ice cream on the way home.
That night I did some fishing off the back of the boat, but didn't catch anything, and started getting tired and went to sleep before 11.
July 25th
After breakfast the next day, Daddy and I went to Cheese Haven so I could get Bruce some beefstick and cheese spread, Jeff some smoked cheese, and Daddy picked out some swiss. Then I got everything packed up and left around 11. I just wish I could visit more than once a year.
I drove down Rt. 4 to Springfield. I honestly don't think I've ever been in that part of Ohio, but oh, do I love the farmlands! They are just so beautiful!! I decided I had to stop in Marion to see President Harding's grave and home. I didn't really have time to go through the house, but got a picture of it and went to the tomb. It cost $700,000 in 1931 to build it. Pretty amazing!
When I got to Jeff's, we ran some errands, and met his friend, ET, at one of my favorite restaurants, Double Day's in Centerville. We got 7 layer quesadillas and a small pizza. To die for!!
Afterwards, we stopped by and checked on Mom and Daddy's house and stopped at another Cincinnati favorite -- Graeter's ice cream. Only one scoop! Then stayed up talking for hours!
July 26th
Next day, Saturday was what my brother Jeff, has always laughingly called "The Wake the Dead Tour." Everyone knows my love of genealogy. With the internet, I have been able to find cousins, locate burial sites and homesteads of ancestors, etc. This trip was no exception. I found a cousin who had recorded Riverview Cemetery in Aurora, Indiana. Jeff and I had looked for hours for my 3rd great grandmother, Elizabeth Downing Willman to no avail. Not to mention that there was no record of my grandfather, Henry Willman. Well, his name was recorded wrong as "Wellman" and neither of them has a gravestone. Thanks to Pete, we located Elizabeth's and Henry is buried in the "county plot" where those who couldn't afford a stone were placed. I know he was a Civil War veteran, so I'm hoping to change that.
Jeff and I drove to Hamilton over a new freeway that connects with I-75. We then started down Rt. 128 that goes all the way to Cleves. Going through Ross was a flashback, especially seeing Stricker's Grove, a small amusement park relocated to a farm, but where Daddy had his company picnics.
I then decided to drive over to New Haven to see my Great Uncle Ivan and Aunt Carrie Hacker's graves. I've never been there. We passed the most beautiful farms, one of which had flowers literally everywhere on the place! (see pics below)
Never did find the cemetery and of course when I got home, found on the internet that I turned wrong and missed it by 1,000 feet. Should have called Daddy.
We made a quick stop in Greendale so I could show Jeff our 2nd great grandparents' graves, Henry and Cynthia Anna Willman Stoneking. His birthday is the day before mine and we share the same wedding anniversary. I had a very memorable dream about her as a child.
When we drove through Aurora, Indiana, it was breath-taking to round the bend and see the Ohio River. It still mesmerizes me after all these years. We met my cousin, Pete Nocks, at the cemetery, located the graves, and found that another of Cynthia Anna's brothers, had been reinterred from his wife's family's cemetery.
Deciding we were starving, we drove into Cleves and went to Skyline Chili. This is a must stop any time I'm in Ohio. Going to the one in Cleves was interesting. It's in the old Kroger building and I always wonder after graduating 37 years ago, if I will recognize anyone.
After lunch, we ran up to Miami Heights so we didn't miss going to Regina Bakery, where our grandma and mom shopped all the time. THERE IS NO RYE BREAD ANYWHERE ELSE LIKE IT!!
Then we drove down to a new housing area with huge houses that overlooks the river. It's built on a family farm that belonged to one of the teachers at our high school (she was retired and subbed when I went through Taylor). I love her house and the wonderful views of the river!!!
Next stop was back in Cleves at the Kroger store to pick up flags and flowers for the cemetery. With four grandparents, four great grandparents, and a host of great aunts and uncles buried there, it's a special place to me. At the same time, it's sad to drive through and see people you knew. Neighbors, friends' parents, my bus driver, superintendent, teachers, etc.
After that, we got back in the car and drove across the Great Miami River to our great grandparents' farm. They had it from 1900 until 1988 when the last descendant sold it. We also went to Shawnee Lookout, a county park that is built on the hill where Fort Miami once stood. There are trails up to the fort, but it was just too hot!! We saw the old schoolhouse and log cabin there, and couldn't believe a fawn came out of the woods in plain view of us!! After that, I took Jeff on a thrill ride on Cliff Road, overlooking the river and continuous up and down hills. He was hanging on for dear life!! We also went on Mt. Nebo and I was excited to find Grandpa Clyde's elementary school, Mt. Nebo, from a new housing development that backs up to it.
We drove back up to Miami Heights and Jeff once again indulged me as I recorded 13 more graves from the little cemetery on Zion Road. The church is long gone where I sang as a child and watched Daddy's aunt marry Mom's uncle (yes, that's right), but the cemetery is there with some really old markers. I hope to go back next year and get some more recorded.
We drove down Zion Hill, reminiscing about not having to pedal one time on our bikes, with all the up and down hills. Went down Silver Creek Road, which was also at one time part of our farm. We laugh at the huge houses that sit DOWN at the bottom of the old farms. Not sure what they were thinking when they did that!!
At our house, Jeff decided to go to the door and talk to the owners! Guess it was good they knew him. I almost thought they were going to invite us in (I haven't been inside since my parents moved in 1978), but I was happy that they allowed us to walk through the back yard!! There was my tree I planted in first grade as a stick that towers about 40 feet high! We still can't figure out where Grandma and Grandpa's house stood. The land has been altered a lot, but I still see those paths around the woods in my mind.
After driving out Harrison Pike, we ventured into United Dairy Farmers for the annual chocolate malt in honor of Grandpa Mehring. We went out Glenway Avenue and were really dismayed to see half of Western Hills Plaza gone!!! It was one of those 1950's shopping centers with two major department stores, lots of small shops, a Kroger grocery store, and an open area in the middle with kiddie rides and Santa's house at Christmas.
Jeff is continually amazed at how much I know my way around Cincinnati after so many years. Actually, Bruce and I roamed all over during our courtship, too. We went to Price Hill to take a picture of Grandpa Mehring's childhood home. His parents, Michael and Maggie Boelger Mehring, both died in the house, so I wanted to be sure I had a photo of it. Hmm. One-way narrow street, rolling hill, not too friendly looking people. Jeff just kept saying, "let's get out of here!" So I promptly drove to Mt. Echo Park, that overlooks the Ohio and Cincinnati skyline where Bruce and I got engaged. When we were almost there, a large group of young men were all gathered on the street corner at the local convenience store. The light turned green and I took off with Jeff turning pale! The skyline has changed a lot since 1975, but I still love looking at it.
Returning to Price Hill, I turned down Rapid Run Pike with Jeff inquiring about the next destination. Hmmm. Let me show him the house where Leonard and Barbara Pfoertner Mehring lived. They are our 2nd great grandparents. The narrow, one-way street made him nervous again.
Ok, now on to Martini United Church of Christ. I know it's off Queen City. Yes, there's the steeple on the hill. Turn down Lick Run, onto another side street, then Saffin Avenue. This is where the Mehrings went to church and had a funeral for their little daughter. No cemetery to be seen (found out later it was covered with the parking lot!!) We go up the hill, the road gets narrower, goes into completely wooded area, only one lane, can't see around the bend, (Jeff is not used to my adventures and is about to lose it!). Finally we come out to Harrison Avenue and proceed toward Westwood.
Now I'm turning onto McHenry. Jeff inquires where we are going this time!! It's 6:45 when I turn into Baltimore Pike Cemetery. I wanted to go and see Michael and Maggie Mehring's graves, and only have 15 minutes until it closes. A pick up loaded with all sorts of junk goes in before me. Jeff is wondering what they are doing. When they fly over the speed bump at 25 mph, I decide this isn't good and turn around.
We drive back to Centerville and eat at Frisch's. Left at 10 am, back at 10 p.m.
JULY 27TH
Ok, Jeff is feeling really bad after yesterday's trip, so I leave him in Centerville and go to my friend, Lil's house in White Oak (suburb of Cincinnati). We visit for 2 hours, and then I drive back to see how Jeff is doing.
It's my last day in Ohio, so we go to China Dynasty, a family owned restaurant with awesome Chinese food! Then we hit United Dairy Farmers for peach ice cream. So good! I love Oakwood in Dayton with its huge old homes, so we take a ride around, I finally get to see the Wright Brothers house in the daylight and even go past Kettering Medical Center where I had Mandy, Bethany, and Travis.
At 10 that night, I am exhausted. I pack and go to sleep.
JULY28th
My flight leaves at 11, so I leave Jeff's at 8:30, drive to the airport, turn in my car, check in and wait for the plane. Had a nice flight to Charlotte, slept some of the way, and took pictures. My plane to Columbia is on time, and I'm able to take some more pictures of places I've never seen from the air. I get home from the Columbia airport at 2:30. Bruce and I later went to dinner, and then I collapsed!! I've been cutting grass, doing laundry, watching movies, reading and trying to relax before school starts again on the 12th. I've even updated my school's website some.
Tomorrow I'm going to see Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts in Charlotte and spending the night. I still can't believe by the time I'm through, I will have been to 8 of them. I don't plan on doing this next summer, but I've enjoyed it!
Saturday, August 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
WOW! What a trip. I liked reading about all that you did where you grew up. I can't say that I'll ever do that much when I go home "someday". Mostly it'll be, "So we got a fiesta burrito...now what should we do? Go pick some pecans?" LOL LOL LOL!
Post a Comment